Mill Butte Trail (map)
The Mill Butte Trail was completed in 2010 with the help of the Friends group, Refuge staff and the Washington Trail Association. Signage will be added in 2011.
The trail needs to be used to keep it from becoming overgrown, so get your boots out!
McDowell Marsh Environmental Education Trail (map)
The McDowell Marsh Environmental Education Trail (McMEET) is a 1.2 mile hardened environmental education trail offering the hiker an opportunity to explore five distinct ecological habitats, ranging from riparian to semi-arid, which are managed specifically for native plants and wildlife. Features of the trail include:
- Universal accessibility over 1/2 mile of trail;
- Trailhead parking and directional signage;
- Self-guided narrative brochures geared to multiple learning levels;
- Hardened trail surface to minimize damage to sensitive soil and plants;
- A 280 ft. elevated boardwalk, which allows hikers to bridge the marsh drainage outfall;
- An observation blind where hikers can enjoy non-intrusive viewing of riparian wildlife; and
- A naturalized congregation area with universal accessibility that allows a group of hikers/students to view all five ecological habitats through which they have passed while their instructor reviews lessons learned from each section of the trail.